IMSB’s Thursday program in San Jose – Saratoga is organized into a series of courses on mindfulness, meditation, and Buddhist teachings and practices. With small group classes on a wide array of topics we can offer newcomers an ideal opportunity to learn meditation, and also enable seasoned meditators to refine their meditative skills and delve deeply into focused dhamma themes.
Registration is required for most of the classes, but periodically drop-in Deepening Practice and Community sessions will be integrated into the program in order to enhance experiential learning, stimulate reflective wisdom, and encourage good friendships as we practice together between scheduled series courses.
The Thursday Dhamma Classes in 2017 will be led by Shaila Catherine, Sharon Allen, Kimberly Allen, and Robert Cusick, along with a number of guest teachers.
Where and When
Westhope Presbyterian Church
12850 Saratoga Ave
Saratoga CA 95070 map
Just 2 blocks off Highway 85 at the Saratoga Avenue exit at the edge of San Jose.
- 7:00 Doors Open
- 7:15 – 9:00 Meditation and teachings
Visit the Events Calendar for schedule of courses and more information.
The list below offers a glimpse of past or potential courses. You will find our upcoming course listings on the Events Calendar.
Courses scheduled in 2017 include:
- January 19 – February 9 — Mindfulness in the Buddhist Tradition: A course on Satipatthana Practices led by Shaila Catherine and Richard Shankman
- February 23 – March 30 — Developing a Mindfulness Meditation Practice: A skill-building course led by Sharon Allen, Janetti Marotta, and Laura Lin
- April 20 – May 25 — The Art of Happiness; The Power of Loving Kindness (Metta), led by Shaila Catherine, Berget Jelane, Laura Lin, and Sharon Allen
- June 8 – July 13 — Strategies for Overcoming Distracting Thoughts led by Shaila Catherine, Chris Clifford, Diana Clark, and Sharon Allen
- July 27 – August 31— See for Yourself: The Buddha’s Teachings on Wisdom led by Kimberly Allen and Diana Clark
- September 14 – October 19 — The Dhamma of Aging led by Robert Cusick
- October 26, 2017 – January 11, 2018 — The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony led by Shaila Catherine and Sharon Allen