Register now through May 30 for our 2019 program!
Post-giving panel discussion will be Tuesday, June 25, 2019.
Practice the Joy of Giving (dāna)
Prior to giving one is joyful;
while giving one settles the mind in trust;
after giving one is elated:
this is success in the act of offering.
—Aṅguttara Nikāya, 6.37
Join us to explore our relationship to generosity!
Generosity (dāna) is an indispensible element of Buddhist practice. The three pillars of the dhamma, also called the three bases of merit, are giving (dāna), virtue (sīla), and meditative development (bhāvanā). At IMSB we routinely practice dāna by supporting our meditation group and our teachers, but dāna practice includes many other forms of charitable giving and volunteer service.
To strengthen our practice of dāna, IMSB has designated up to $1000 from the IMSB Karunā Fund to support active charitable giving. This program has the dual purpose of providing tangible support for charities and encouraging IMSB members to value, explore, and develop generosity as a part of the spiritual path.
The Joy of Giving Program aims:
- To focus on dāna as an element of our spiritual path and encourage us to strengthen our practice of generosity
- To share and discuss issues related to generosity with dhamma friends.
- To develop our ability to give, let go, share, and respond to the needs of others
- To provide tangible support for charitable causes
The program works as follows:
- IMSB saṅgha members can sign up by filling out the registration form. Click on this link to fill out the Joy of Giving Registration Form.
- Participants will be assigned to a small group of givers. One member of each group will be assigned as group coordinator to facilitate communications and schedule meetings for their group.
- IMSB will provide $50 to each saṅgha member who participates (up to $1000). The individual will decide how to use these funds to support acts of generosity, and will meet with their group to discuss the practice and experience of giving.
- The groups will present an informal report at the Tuesday sitting group to describe what they chose to do, and share reflections on the practice of generosity.
Each group will explore topics such as:
- How do you decide what to give, to whom, or how to give it?
- How do you feel before giving, during the act of giving, and upon reflecting on your gift?
- How does giving affect the quality of your mind, your attention, your mindfulness?
- What causes or conditions make it easy or difficult to give?
- What challenges do you face in giving?
- How might you continue to cultivate generosity?
- How can you nurture joy in giving?
In lieu of the dharma talk on a Tuesday evening, the groups will report back to IMSB as an informal panel discussion. People will share their experiences and then engage in conversation with the rest of the saṅgha.
Any dāna collected on the evening of these panel discussions will be used to replenish the IMSB Karuna Fund.
To Join: Click on this link to fill out the Joy of Giving Registration Form.