Course: The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony
October 26, 2017 @ 7:15 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:15 pm on Thursday, repeating until November 30, 2017
A 5-week sutta study discussion course led by Shaila Catherine and Sharon Allen
In this course we will study Bhikkhu Bodhi’s powerful collection of discourses from the Pali Canon that address issues relevant to our times: communication, anger, conflict resolution, friendship, social equity, and interpersonal dynamics. This 5-week course offers a discussion format for sutta study and the contemplation of Buddhist teachings that lead to social harmony, ethical clarity, and engaged wisdom. Students are expected to read about 20 pages each week (approximately one hour of reading) and engage in the discussions.
Thursday Class Dates:
- October 26 – Right Understanding and Personal Training with Shaila Catherine
- November 2 – Dealing with Anger with Sharon Allen
- November 9 – Good Friendship and One’s Own Good and the Good of Others with Sharon Allen
- November 16 – Intentional Community and Disputes with Shaila Catherine
- November 23 – No Meeting. Happy Thanksgiving Holiday
- November 30 – Settling Disputes and Establishing an Equitable Society with Shaila Catherine
Required Reading: The Buddha’s Teachings on Social and Communal Harmony: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon, edited and introduced by Bhikkhu Bodhi, Wisdom Publications, 2016, ISBN: 978-1-61429-355-2.
WHO SHOULD JOIN: This is an intermediate level course. Previous training in sutta study and retreat experience is welcome, but not required. Previous experience with mindfulness meditation, however, is expected. The course is designed for meditators who have already developed some continuity in their meditation practice, and who wish to now study, discuss, and contemplate the social implications of the Buddha’s teachings. It is designed as a level 2-4 course. Click this link for a key to course level designations.
TO REGISTER for the Thursday evening course in Saratoga click here. This link will take you to a page with ticketing options to reserve your place in the class.