Speaker Series: Pillars of Dhamma
September 17, 2015 @ 7:15 pm PDT - 9:00 pm PDT
What we can do to improve our lives…
Three core practices support growth in Buddhist practice
- generosity (dana)
- virtue (sila)
- mental development (bhavana).
These Three Pillars are sometimes called sources of merit because they are actions that lead to beneficial results. Practicing generosity we nurture an open, kind heart; practicing virtue we live happily, free from remorse; and developing wise attention, mindfulness, and concentration we prepare the mind for liberating insight.
- September 17 – Generosity with Shaila Catherine
- September 24 – The Three Pillar’s series gives way to a very special event on the contemplative life in Silicon Valley with Pastor Erik Swanson and Shaila Catherine.
- October 1 – Virtue with Shaila Catherine
- October 8 – Mental Development with Margaret Gainer
Speaker biographies can be found on our Teacher Page.
Everyone is welcome. Chairs are provided. Bring a cushion and mat if you prefer to sit on the wood floor.
IMSB relies upon the generosity of participants to support our teachers and cover organizational expenses. Dana is a word in the ancient Pali language that describes donations, offerings and generosity. Two bowls will be available at an event to practice dana for the teacher and IMSB; we encourage you to give joyfully and generously, according to your resources and means. IMSB is a 501(c) (3) organization. All donations are tax deductible as permitted by law.