- This event has passed.
Speaker Series: Preparing the Mind for Awakening
February 20 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 7:30pm on Tuesday, repeating until March 13, 2018
Preparing The Mind for Awakening: Cultivating The Seven Factors of Awakening
For the mind that values freedom.
Seven qualities offer an effective framework for cultivating the mind, overcoming the hindrances, and balancing the energetic and calming forces that develop through meditation. When these seven factors are well developed, the mind is ripe for awakening. This series will explore each factor to reveal its importance, function, and role in the process of awakening.
- January 16 – Nourishing Balanced Conditions for Awakening, with Shaila Catherine
- January 23 – Mindfulness, with Chris Clifford
- January 30 – – Investigation, Bob Stahl will not be able to join us, we will have a recorded talk
- February 6 – Effort, Energy, with Richard Shankman
- February 13 – No meeting. The church needs the room for their event.
- February 20 – Joy, with Misha Merrill
- February 27 – Tranquility, with Daniel Bowling
- March 6 – Concentration, with Sean Feit Oakes
- March 13 – Equipoise, Equanimity, with Oren J. Sofer
Please visit our Teachers Page for biographies and photos of our speakers.
Insight Meditation South Bay offers two weekly meditation programs. Tuesdays we meet in Mountain View for our drop-in weekly program of meditation and teachings. Thursdays we meet in Saratoga for our Dhamma Classroom, which offer a series of structured courses with registration, and periodic drop-in practice events.
Today’s group meets every Tuesday evening for a sitting and Dhamma talk in Mountain View. The principal teacher is Shaila Catherine and guest speakers are featured regularly. Thematic series are periodically presented, but whether or not a topic has been advertised in advance, Shaila or a guest teacher will lead the sitting and offer teachings. See also weekly sitting.
Newcomers are always welcome. To help newcomers get acquainted with mindfulness meditation and IMSB, a senior member or teacher offers a beginner’s orientation beginning at 6:30 on the first Tuesday of each month.
IMSB relies upon the generosity of participants to support our teachers and cover organizational expenses. Dana is a word in the ancient Pali language that describes donations, offerings and generosity. Two bowls will be available at an event to practice dana for the teacher and IMSB; we encourage you to give joyfully and generously, according to your resources and means. IMSB is a 501(c) (3) organization. All donations are tax deductible as permitted by law.